Here's a larger picture of Lithuanian Fruit Bread.
Makes 2 large loaves of Lithuanian Fruit Bread or Vaisiu Pyragas
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup + 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 8 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) melted butter
- 3 large beaten eggs
- 3/4 pound mixed glaceed fruit or dried fruit, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 cups dark or light raisins
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dark rum (optional)
- 2 ounces (1/2 stick) melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- In a large bowl, mix yeast, 1/2 cup sugar, milk, 3 cups of the flour, and salt until smooth. Cover and let stand for 1 hour.
- Add 4 ounces melted butter, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and remaining flour. Knead until smooth and elastic. Add chopped fruits, raisins, nuts and rum, if using, and knead until well incorporated. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- Divide dough in half and, on a lightly floured surface, roll each into a rectangle about 12 x 16 inches. Spread each with melted butter and sugar mixed with cinnamon. Roll up lengthwise, tuck in ends and place in 2 large greased loaf pans. Heat oven to 400 degrees. Cover pans with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 50 minutes longer. Turn out onto wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar or drizzle with flat icing, if desired.