Here's a larger picture of Lithuanian Poppyseed Roll.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 2 Lithuanian Poppy Seed Rolls
- 2 pounds all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups warm milk
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large egg yolks + 1 large whole egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12.5-ounce) can poppy seed filling
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons candied orange peel, finely chopped
- In a large bowl, combine 1/3 of the flour, milk, yeast and sugar until well mixed. Cover with a towel or plastic wrap and let rise until doubled.
- Beat egg yolks, whole egg and salt and add to dough in bowl with remaining flour. Knead until smooth and elastic. Cover and let rise until doubled.
- For the Filling: Mix poppy seed filling with beaten egg, chopped nuts, vanilla and orange peel.
- Divide dough into two pieces. Roll out each on a lightly floured surface. Spread half the filling on each piece and roll up as for a jellyroll. Tuck in the ends. If you like, the roll can be left straight or formed into a ring. Place each on a parchment-lined baking sheet and let rise until almost doubled. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Paint with egg wash (1 large whole beaten egg mixed with 1 teaspoon water). Bake for about 45 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool covered with a linen cloth so the cake doesn't dry out. When completely cool, dust with confectioners' sugar or glaze with a flat icing, if desired.