Here is a larger photo of Lithuanian Sauerkraut Soup.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
Yield: 6-8 servings Sauerkraut Soup
- 1 pound smoked ribs or other smoked meat
- 3 quarts water
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 bay leaf, cracked in half
- 10 black peppercorns
- 2 pounds drained sauerkraut, rinsed if desired
- 1/2 head cabbage, shredded
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, place smoked meat, water, onion, bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface, reduce heat and let simmer partially covered 1 hour.
- Remove meat, bay leaves and peppercorns. Add sauerkraut, bring back to the boil, reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Add cabbage, bring back to the boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Adjust seasonings. Remove fat and bones from meat, chop and return to the soup, if desired, or serve on the side with hot boiled potatoes and rye bread. If desired, allow soup to cool completely, skim off any fat that rises to the surface, reheat and serve.