Serbian Orthodox Easter wouldn't be the same without some type of lamb as the centerpiece of the meal. If it's not spit-roasted or barbecued lamb, roast leg of lamb or lamb shoulder are the cuts of choice.
Makes 6 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 1 (4-pound) leg of lamb
- 3 cloves garlic, cut in half
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup hot water
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry leg of lamb. With the point of a sharp knife, make slits all over the lamb.
- Sprinkle garlic with a little salt and black pepper. Insert clove halves into slits in lamb.
- Combine lemon juice, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper and oregano, and rub all over lamb.
- Place lamb on a rack in a shallow pan. Spread butter on top of lamb and pour hot water in bottom of baking pan.
- Bake uncovered 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake, turning once and adding water as needed, for 2 hours or until instant-read thermometer registers 145 degrees. Allow it to rest 20 minutes before carving.