Here is a larger photo of Polish Cinnamon Cookies.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Dough must be refrigerated: 12 hours
Total Time: 13 hours
Yield: About 50 Polish Cinnamon Cookies
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 large egg yolk mixed with 1 tablespoon water for glaze
- Cinnamon sugar (optional)
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Mix in zest and 2 eggs. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Add to butter mixture mixing until a stiff dough results. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate 12 hours or overnight.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. On parchment-lined baking sheets roll out dough 1/4-inch thick and cut with cookie cutters into desired shapes, leaving 1 inch between cookies. Stars and crescent moons are nice. Remove scraps and brush shapes with egg-yolk glaze and bake about 15 minutes or until lightly golden around the edges but not brown. If desired, sprinkle glazed cookies with cinnamon sugar before baking. Cool completely on a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough. Store in an airtight container.