Here is a larger photo of Polish Crème Brûlée or Spalony Krem.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 Crème Brûlée
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 large egg yolks
- 2 quarts hot water
- 1/2 cup white or light brown sugar
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Place cream, vanilla bean and its pulp into a medium saucepan set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, cover and allow to sit 15 minutes. Remove vanilla bean and reserve for another use.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup white sugar and egg yolks until well blended and just starting to lighten in color. Add cream a little at a time, whisking continually. Transfer mixture into 6 (8-ounce) ramekins. Place the ramekins into a roasting pan. Pour enough hot water into the pan to come halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake just until the custard is set, but still jiggly in the center, about 40 to 45 minutes. Remove ramekins from roasting pan and let come to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
- Remove custard from the refrigerator at least 30 minutes prior to service. Sprinkle 1/2 cup white or light brown sugar evely over 6 ramekins. Use a kitchen torch to caramelizing the sugar, forming a crispy top, or broil for 3 to 4 minutes. Allow to sit a few minutes before serving. Using hot pads, place ramekin on a serving plate.