Here is a larger photo of Polish Whole-Egg Babka.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Rising time: 1 hour
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 2 (7-inch) Whole-Egg Babkas
- For Yeast Sponge:
- 2 packages (4 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup warm milk (not hotter than 110 degrees)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- For Batter:
- 12 ounces (3 sticks) melted and cooled butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup candied orange peel
- 5 large eggs
- 3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dark raisins
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons sifted confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons candied orange peel
- In a small bowl, combine sponge ingredients and let rise in a warm place until thick and foamy, about 15 minutes.
- For the batter, in a large bowl or stand mixer on low speed and using the paddle attachment, mix butter with 1/2 cup sugar, orange peel and eggs until well incorporated. Add the yeast mixture and beat until well combined. Add the flour and beat until smooth. Add the raisins and continue to beat at low speed until a smooth batter results, about 7 minutes. The mixture will resemble very thick cake or pound cake batter, not a bread dough. Cover and let rise in a warm place 30 minutes.
- Coat two 7-inch babka or tube pans with cooking spray. Place oven rack on middle shelf and heat to 350 degrees. Using a lightly floured spoon, stir the dough down. Divide batter between pans, cover and let rise in a warm place until batter is 1 inch from top of pans.
- Bake cakes 30 to 50 minutes. Cakes are ready when an instant-read thermometer registers 190 degrees. If cakes are browning too raidly, cover tops loosely with a little foil. Remove from oven and let cool 20 minutes before turning out of pan to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Prepare the glaze by mixing together all ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cakes. While the glaze is still wet, sprinkle each cake with 1 tablespoon candied orange peel.