Larger photo of Tangerine Chiffon Cake.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Yield: 10-inch Tangerine Chiffon Cake
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large whole eggs
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 3/4 cup strained tangerine or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons tangerine or orange zest
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Place rack in middle of oven and heat to 325 degrees. Take out a 10-inch angel food pan, but DO NOT grease it. In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk in 2 whole eggs, 5 egg yolks, tangerine juice, tangerine zest, oil and vanilla, mixing just until smooth.
- In a separate medium bowl, beat whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue to beat whites until stiff peaks form. Transfer 1/4 of whipped egg whites to sugar-flour mixture, stirring to lighten the mixture. Then carefully fold in remaining whites, trying not to deflate the volume. Pour into ungreased pan and rap on counter to remove air bubbles. Bake 50-60 minutes, or until toothpick tests clean.
- Remove cake from oven and invert pan over a bottle or onto a wire rack if your pan has feet. Let cool completely. Run a knife around the sides of the pan and the middle funnel and invert the cake onto a serving plate. Serve with whipped cream and tangerine sections, if desired.