Here is a larger photo of Polish Walnut-Shaped Cookies or Ciasteczka Orzeszki.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Dough must be chilled: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Yield: 24 Walnut-Shaped Sandwich Cookie
- 4 ounces (1 stick) softened unsalted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Filling #1:
- 1 teaspoon cocoa
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- 1 cup apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3/4 cup ground (not chopped) walnuts
- Filling #2:
- 4 ounces (1 stick) softened butter
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 7 ounces ground (not chopped) walnuts
- 1 shot glass vodka
- Milk as needed to make a moist filling
- NOTE: This recipe can be doubled, if desired. In a large bowl, beat together unsalted butter, salt, sugars, vanilla, and egg. Add flour and mix until well combined. Wrap in plastic and chill for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Do not grease walnut molds. Press 1/2 teaspoon dough into the bottom and up the sides of the molds. Dip the finger you use to press the dough into the mold in flour to prevent sticking. Place filled molds on a baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes or until cookies are brown around the edges of the molds. Cool a few seconds and then tap them out of the molds. Repeat until all the dough is gone.
- It's a good idea to store the "shells" in an airtight container until ready to serve and fill, otherwise they could become soggy. Make either of the above fillings by mixing all ingredients together, or use preserves or prepared almond paste or nut fillings. Spread 1 teaspoon filling on half of the walnut-shaped cookies and top with a second cookie. Dust with confectioners' sugar, if desired.