These rolled cookies bake up crisp and store well. Sprinkle with colored sugar, if desired, or leave plain.
Makes about 3 dozen Polish Ammonia Cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 4 ounces (1 stick) softened butter
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baker's ammonia dissolved in 2 tablespoons water OR 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Coarse white or colored sanding sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter, vanilla sugar and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, sour cream and dissolved baker's ammonia and mix again. Note: If using baking powder, combine it with the flour in the next step.
- Add flour and mix thoroughly. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate until manageable, about 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Dust a work surface or parchment-lined pan with equal parts confectioners' sugar and granulated sugar. Roll out dough between 1/8- to 1/4-inch thickness and cut with cookie shapes of choice. Remove scraps and repeat with remaining dough. Brush cookies with beaten egg white and sprinkle with sugar, if desired.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until just beginning to brown around the edges. You want these cookies to be blonde in color. Cool on pan for a few minutes then transfer to a wire rack. When completely cool, store tightly covered.