Makes 1 (11x9-inch) pan of Polish Apple Slices or Jablka Kroione
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- Pastry Dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Apple Filling:
- 3 pounds apples of choice, peeled, cored and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1 or more cups sugar, based on sweetness of apples
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- To make the pastry dough: In a large bowl, mix the flour and salt and cut in the shortening until large pea-sized pieces form. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks with the vanilla and sugar until well combined. Add to the flour and mix together, bringing to a ball. (This can be made in a food processor with good results. Divide dough in half and press half into an 11x9-inch pan. Refrigerate the rest of the dough while you make the filling.
- To make the filling: Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, mix together the apples, sugar, cinnamon and flour. Pour the apple filling into the prepared pan. Set aside.
- Roll out second half of pastry dough between parchment paper, adding flour, if necessary. Lay on top of apples. No need to make a fancy fluted edge.
- To make the topping: In a medium bowl, with a fork or whisk, combine the egg whites with 1 cup sugar. Do not beat or make a meringue. Pour over crust and place baking ban on a sheet pan to catch any drips. Bake about 1 hour or until apples are tender and bubbly.