Makes 3 medium loaves or 2 (9"x5"x3") loaves of Polish Fruitcake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
- 3/4 cup light or dark raisins
- 3/4 cup chopped dates or figs
- 1 1/3 cups chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/2 cup chopped candied orange or lemon peel
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) softened butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 8 large eggs
- 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vodka or orange juice
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix fruits and nuts and toss with a small amount of flour to keep ingredients from clumping together in cake batter.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each.
- Mix together flour and baking powder and slowly add to the butter-sugar-egg mixture, combining thoroughly. Add vanilla and liquor or juice, mixing well. Stir in fruit-nut mixture by hand until thoroughly incorporated.
- Distribute batter into prepared pans and bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or more or until toothpick tests clean.
- When cakes come out of oven, run a knife around the edges but allow them to cool completely in the pans. When cool, turn out and store tightly wrapped in a cool place for up to four weeks.