Store in an airtight jar and glaze just before serving.
Makes about 3 dozen Polish Gingerbread Cookies - Pierniczki
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon baking soda dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup honey
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- Chocolate Glaze (optional):
- 4 ounces chopped semisweet chocolate
- 4 ounces butter
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with sugar until light and lemon-colored. Add the spices, baking soda-water mixture and honey. Mix well. Add flour gradually and mix until a stiff dough forms. Shape into a ball, wrap in plastic and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. On parchment paper cut to fit your baking pans, roll the dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Cut into whatever shape you desire. Lift the parchment paper by opposite corners and place on the baking pans. See these steps for rolling and cutting gingerbread.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges. Let cool completely before storing in an airtight container. It's best to ice or glaze these cookies right before serving.
- To make the glaze, combine all the ingredients in a microwaveable bowl and nuke for 20 seconds at a time until almost completely melted. Stir until smooth. Use immediately.