Makes 2 large loaves of dark Polish Piernik or Spice Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 55 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 cup dark honey
- 1 cup strong coffee
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- In a small saucepan, combine honey, coffee, butter and spices. Bring to a boil and remove from heat. Let cool to warm.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 2 large or 3 medium loaf pans with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, brown sugar and baking powder. Slowly add the warm liquid, beating constantly at low speed. Add the flour and mix thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pans and bake 45 to 55 minutes or until toothpick has only a few crumbs clinging to it. Let cakes cool in pan for 15 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- This cake keeps exceptionally well and can be dusted with confectioners' sugar or glazed with chocolate at serving time.