SHORTCUT: Use 2 (14-ounce) cans whole purple plums, drained, pitted and halved.
Makes 12 servings of Polish Plum Cake
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 + 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) soft butter + 3 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 40 fresh any variety plums, pitted and halved
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- Lightly coat a 13"x9" pan with cooking spray. Heat oven to 350 degrees. In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and 3/4 cup sugar. Add 1/2 cup softened butter, milk and eggs. Beat at medium speed 4 minutes.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Place plums on top, cut side up, pushing down slightly into batter.
- Cut remaining 1/4 cup sugar and cloves into 3 tablespoons cold butter and sprinkle over plums. Bake about 40 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan so the plum juices will be reabsorbed to create a moist cake. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar, if desired, and cut into 12 squares.