Makes 4 servings Polish Poached Pears with Chocolate Sauce or Gruszki w Czekoladzie
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 4 firm-ripe Bosc pears, peeled and cored, stem left intact
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water or enough to cover pears
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 recipe hot Chocolate Sauce
- Either leave the pears whole or cut them in half. Add sugar and water to a large saucepan and heat it until the suar has dissolved completely.
- Add pears to pan. Bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until the tip of a boning knife (or one with a slender blade) can be inserted easiy into the pears. But do not cook the pears to the mushy state. Remove from poaching liquid and cool.
- To serve: Either place a small ladleful of hot chocolate sauce on the bottom of a plate and put the whole pear or two halves) in the middle, or ladle the chocolate sauce over the pears.