These sugar roll-out cookies are great on their own or dipped halfway (or all the way!) in melted chocolate. This is a fun project for the kids.
Makes about 3 dozen Star Cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 4 ounces (1 stick) softened butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 large beaten egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- Semisweet chocolate (optional)
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the almond extract and egg, mixing well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to butter mixture alternating with milk, mixing until smooth. If the dough is too soft to roll, wrap in plastic and refrigerate until manageable.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. On a parchment-lined baking sheet, roll the dough to 1/4". Using a star shape, cut cookies, leaving 2" space between cookies. Remove scraps.
- Bake 10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Cool a few minutes and remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining dough scraps.
- When cookies are completely cool, dip one end or the entire top of the cookie in melted chocolate, if desired.