These easy desserts are usually made with fruit puree that has been thickened with some type of starch, typically potato starch , but they are also common in coffee, chocolate, vanilla and almond flavors.
Here's a larger picture of strawberry kissel.
Makes about 6 servings of Polish Strawberry Kissel - Kisiel Truskawkowy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar (or more to taste based on sweetness of fruit)
- 3 tablespoons potato starch (NOT potato flour) or 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 pound hulled, washed and crushed strawberries
- In a large saucepan, bring to boil 1 cup water and sugar. Remove from heat.
- Dissolve potato starch in 1/2 cup cold water and stir into the sugar-water mixture. Return to the heat and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add strawberries and mix well.
- Portion into individual dessert bowls or one large bowl that has been rinsed with cold water. Place in the refrigerator until firm, about 3 hours. Serve with cream, half-and-half, milk or whipped cream.