Here's a larger photo of Polish Tea Cookies decorated for July 4.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 48 small or 24 large cookies
- 8 ounces (2 sticks) softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 hard-cooked egg yolks passed through a sieve
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add sieved egg yolks (Note: Use the egg whites to make delicious low-cholesterol egg salad and add turmeric for yellow color.), sour cream and vanilla. Mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour and baking powder. Add it in thirds to the butter mixture and beat until completely incorporated. If the dough is too soft, you can refrigerate it for an hour before working with it.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Roll dough on parchment-lined baking sheets and cut out shapes, leaving 1/2 inch between cookies. Brush with beaten egg white and sprinkle with colored sugar, if desired. Bake 10-15 minutes (based on the size of your cookies) or until just beginning to turn golden around the edges. The cookies should remain pale blond in color. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- If desired, cooked cookies can be decorated after baking with water icing or melted chocolate and nuts. If the cookies are scooped, tamp the dough down with a glass dipped in flour or sugar to flatten. Store cooled cookies tightly covered.