Here is a larger photo of Polish Vegetarian Pizza Made with Whey Dough.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 1 (12-inch) Pizza
- Pizza Dough:
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) instant or rapid-rise yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup very warm whey or whole milk (120 to 130 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Pizza Filling:
- 1 large caramelized onion
- 3 medium peeled and boiled potatoes, sliced thinly
- 8 ounces crumbled dry curd or farmers cheese
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
- How to make the pizza dough: In a large bowl, whisk together 1 cup flour, undissolved yeast and salt. Stir in very warm whey or milk and olive oil. Add enough of the remaining flour (start with 1/2 cup) to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 4 to 6 minutes. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with cornmeal. Roll dough into a 12-inch circle and pat into prepared pan. Prick all over with a fork.
- How to assemble the pizza: Distribute caramelized onions evenly over surface of pizza dough. Place potato slices in concentic circles on top of the onions, overlapping slightly and seasoning with salt and pepper. Then crumble on the dry curd cheese followed by a little salt and pepper. Finally, distribute the shaved Parmesan evenly over the top of the pizza.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until Parmesan cheese is starting to brown (the dry curd cheese will not melt significantly), and the bottom of the pizza is golden brown. Remove from oven, wait a few minutes and then slice and serve.