Here's a larger photo of Polish-American Sausage-Cabbage-Potato Casserole.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings Polish Casserole
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large coarsely chopped onions
- 1 medium head coarsely chopped or shredded cabbage
- 2 red-skinned apples, cored and sliced 1/2-inch thick (peels can be left on, if desired)
- 2 large russet potatoes (peels can be left on, if desired), parboiled for 5 minutes (save the cooking water) and coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Vegeta or Maggi seasoning
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (or to taste)
- 1 pound smoked Polish sausage (skin removed, if desired), cut into 6 pieces and scored diagonally 3 times
- 1 cup reserved potato-cooking water
- In a large, Dutch oven or skillet with a lid, sauté onion in butter over medium heat until translucent. Then, without stirring, add cabbage and sprinkle evenly with Vegeta or Maggi seasoning. Add apples, caraway and pepper without stirring. Top with sausage and 1 cup of the cooking water from potatoes. Cover. When the water begins to boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Uncover and mix all ingredients together. Replace cover and simmer 10 minutes more. Remove the cover and test for doneness of the cabbage. If there are too many juices, cook over low heat until reduced. But the pan juices are delicious when sopped up with rye bread.