Here's a larger photo of Polish cabbage-potato-bacon casserole.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings Cabbage-Potato Bake
- 1 pound diced bacon
- 1 large diced onion
- 1 (2 1/2-pound) cabbage, cored and coarsely chopped
- 3 large russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes and parboiled
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon pepper (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded Polish Koldamer or Kurpianka cheese or Swiss cheese
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. In a very large ovenproof skillet or Dutch oven, saute diced bacon until crisp but not burned. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and set aside.
- If desired, some of the bacon fat can be removed but, traditionally, it is left in. Add the onion and cabbage to the bacon fat, mixing well. Cook until the cabbage has completely collapsed and is al dente, about 20 minutes. Add the well-drained potatoes, salt, pepper, cream and reserved bacon, and mix completely. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the cabbage-potato-bacon casserole and cover tightly with foil or an ovenproof lid. Bake 35 minutes or until potatoes are almost done. Remove cover and bake an additional 10 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden, and potatoes are tender.