Makes 4 to 6 servings Polish Country-Style Ribs and Sauerkraut - Zeberka Wieprzowe w Kapuscie
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
- 4 pounds country-style pork ribs cut 1 1/2 inches thick
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained and optionally rinsed
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Wash and dry pork ribs. Rub ribs all over with garlic, salt and pepper. Place, meaty side down, in a shallow roasting pan and roast 20 minutes, uncovered. Reduce oven temperature to 250 degrees. Turn ribs so they are now meaty side up.
- In a large bowl, combine sauerkraut, applesauce, brown sugar and caraway seeds, mixing well. Pour over pork ribs. Cover roasting pan and bake until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Serve with a green vegetable like Brussels Sprouts with Dill Sauce.