Take this virtual tour of a sauerkraut factory.
View this larger image.
Makes 6 to 8 servings of Polish Smoked Sausage and Sauerkraut
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and fried, reserve 2 tablespoons fat
- 2 pounds sauerkraut, rinsed and squeezed
- 2 pounds smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, more or less to taste
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Heat oven to 325 degrees. Combine all ingredients and transfer to a baking pan that has been lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake covered for 1 hour (1 1/2 hours if you double the recipe), stirring after 1/2 hour, and adding more apple juice if necessary. Cool in an ice-water bath and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, transfer to a slow cooker and heat on low, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.