I've updated it a bit with peppers, onions, sausage and cheese. And sometimes I substitute leftover potatoes for the kluski.
Makes 6 hearty servings of Polish Breakfast Skillet Recipe
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 pound fresh Polish white sausage OR smoked sausage
- 1 chopped red pepper
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 2 cups leftover kluski OR 2 large cooked potatoes, sliced
- 6 large beaten eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup grated kashkaval or provolone cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. If using fresh Polish sausage, remove the meat from the casings and place in a large cast-iron or ovenproof skillet. Add the onion and peppers and cook until the sausage is cooked thoroughly and the vegetables are tender.
- Note: If using smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices, place in skillet with onion, peppers and 1/4 cup water and steam, covered, until vegetables are cooked. Remove cover and let any accumulated water evaporate. Add 2 tablespoons butter and proceed with recipe.
- Add kluski or potatoes and heat through. Add eggs and scramble on low, stirring constantly, until eggs are done to your taste. Adjust seasonings. Sprinkle cheese on top, completely covering surface, and place skillet in oven until cheese is melted.