Most zapiekanki sandwiches start with French bread, sauteed mushrooms, cheese and ketchup, but there are Hawaiian-style zapiekanki with pineapple, and Greek style with olives and feta cheese. Of course, the beverage of choice with a zapiekanka is Polish piwo (beer)!
Makes 4 Polish Zapiekanka
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 long loaf French bread, cut in half and then cut in half horizontally to yield 4 pieces
- Thinly sliced ham or lunchmeat of choice (optional)
- Sauteed mushrooms
- Raw or cooked vegetables of choice (optional)
- Mayonnaise (optional)
- Grated melting cheese of choice
- Chopped chives (optional)
- If the bread is very long, cut it into 3 pieces and halve each horizontally, otherwise, cut it into 2 pieces.
- Layer meat, sauteed mushrooms and cheese on each slice of bread and toast in a hot oven until the bread is crispy and the cheese has melted. Drizzle with ketchup and serve hot.