This recipe uses pickles, ham and green onions, and can be prepared on the stovetop or in a slow cooker, but no matter how it is cooked, zrazy always tastes better the next day.
Here is a larger picture of Polish Beef Roulade.
Makes 4 servings of Polish Beef Roulade or Zrazy
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 8 thin sandwich steaks, trimmed and pounded 1/8-inch thick
- Grainy mustard
- 2 dill pickles, cut into thin strips
- 4 ounces ham, cut into thin strips
- 2 green onions, white and light green parts, cut into thin strips
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 4 tablespoons white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Salt and pepper
- Sour cream
- Chopped parsley
- Spread a thin layer of mustard on each steak and divide the pickles, ham and onion among the steaks. Fold in the sides and roll as for stuffed cabbage. Secure with a toothpick, if necessary.
- Heat oil in large Dutch oven and brown beef rolls on all sides. Remove meat and add flour to the pan, and cook to a light brown to make a roux. Stir in the stock, wine, tomato paste, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and simmer 1 minute.
- Return beef rolls to the pan and spoon over some of the sauce. Cover and cook over low 45 minutes to 1 hour, adding more liquid as necessary during cooking.
- When the rolls are cooked, transfer to a serving dish and remove the toothpicks, if used, and ladle over the sauce. Dollop with sour cream and chopped parsley. Great with rice, mashed potatoes, Finger Dumplings or Drop Potato Dumplings.