Sauerkraut filling is one of the quintessential flavors for stuffing Polish pierogi and Polish nalesniki, also known as blintzes or crepes. Since these are vegetarian, they would be perfect for meatless Lenten meals or for wigilia, also known as Christmas Eve supper.
Here is a larger photo of Sauerkraut Pierogi.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
Yield: About 36 Sauerkraut Pierogi
- Sauerkraut Filling:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and grated
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 or more tablespoons sour cream
- Pierogi Dough:
- 1 recipe Georgia's Pierogi Dough
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Add onions and cook until tender but not browned. Add sauerkraut and carrots. Cook, stirring often, 10 to 15 minutes or until volume has reduced and sauerkraut is tender. Remove from heat and stir in salt, pepper and sour cream. If mixture doesn't hold its shape when squeezed together, add more sour cream. Let cool completely before filling pierogi dough.
- Prepare Georgia's Pierogi Dough recipe while filling is cooking. Using a 1 1/2-inch cookie scoop, follow these steps to roll, cut, fill and cook pierogi.