Noodles and sauerkraut, or kluski z kwasna kapusta (KLOOSS-kee z KVAHSS-nah kah-POOSS-tah) in Polish, is a favorite side dish in my Polish family. We take turns bringing it to parties and celebrations. Sautéed onions, sauerkraut and mushrooms (either imported Polish mushrooms or canned mushrooms) mingle with buttered kluski noodles for an unassuming yet delicious side dish.
Kluski z Kwasna Kapusta reheats well and actually flavors overnight. It's also a good candidate for the freezer.
View this larger photo of Polish Noodles and Sauerkraut.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 10 servings Noodles & Sauerkraut
- 1 pound kluski-style noodles, cooked and drained
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (32-ounce) container sauerkraut, drained (rinsed or unrinsed as desired)
- 1 (14-ounce) can mushrooms, stems and pieces, undrained
- Saute onion in butter until translucent. Add kraut and cook over medium-low for 15 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. In a large pan or bowl, combine cooked noodles, sauerkraut mixture and undrained mushrooms, mixing thoroughly. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Transfer to a large casserole dish that has been coated with vegetable spray. Bake 45 minutes or until top just starts to brown.