Here is a larger photo of Polish Cream of Pumpkin Soup.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 6 servings Cream of Pumpkin Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds coarsely grated fresh pumpkin
- 3 1/2 ounces chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or vegetable oil
- 13 ounces orange juice
- 7 ounces chicken stock
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch sugar
- 7 ounces red wine
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan saute pumpkin, shallots and ginger until shallots are translucent. Add juice and stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until pumpkin is tender. Puree until smooth in a blender. Pour back into the saucepan and season with salt and pepper.
- In a metal bowl, beat egg yolks with lemon juice, pinch of sugar, wine and vinegar until thick. Temper the egg yolks with a few ladles of hot soup. Return the tempered egg yolks to the hot soup and whisk until thoroughly mixed and eggs are cooked but not scrambled. Add more salt, pepper and sugar, if necessary, and serve. Garnish with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, a cape gooseberry and parsley or dill, if desired.