Here is a larger photo of Polish Potato Soup or Zupa Ziemniaczana.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6-8 servings Polish Potato Soup
- 4 ounces (about 4 strips) diced bacon
- 2 large finely chopped onions
- 2 large peeled and finely chopped carrots
- 1 rib finely chopped celery
- 2 pounds peeled potatoes cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 cups hot chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, cook bacon until it begins to render some of its fat. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Add carrots, celery and potatoes and sauté gently for 5 minutes, but do not brown.
- Then add hot stock, parsley and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaf, adjust seasonings, and serve hot with additional chopped parsley, if desired, and light rye bread.