Here is a larger photo of Polish Sorrel Soup.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Yield: 6 servings Polish Sorrel Soup
- 1 large peeled and sliced carrot
- 1 bunch fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 peeled and cubed medium potatoes
- 1 chicken or vegetable boullion cube
- 1/2 pound fresh sorrel, washed, stemmed as for spinach and chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh dill or parsley
- 2 hard-cooked eggs cut into quarters
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, place 6 cups cold water, carrots and parsley. Bring to a boil and add bay leaf, potatoes and boullion cube. Bring back to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are tender.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and sauté sorrel for 10 minutes. Transfer to the soup and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Remove bay leaf. Fork blend sour cream with flour and temper with a few ladles of hot soup. Transfer tempered sour cream to soup, stir well and simmer until thickened and just under the boiling point. Adjust seasonings.
- Portion soup into heated bowls and garnish with chopped dill or parsley and egg quarters.