Polish beer soup - zupa piwna - is a great way to warm up on a cold day and, when served cold, a terrifc way to beat the dog days of summer. This satisfies that Polish-Russian craving for sour soups.
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 6 serevings Polish Beer Soup
- 4 (12-ounce) cans beer or light beer
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Pinch cinnamon
- Rye croutons (see below) for garnish
- Farmer's cheese for garnish (optional)
- Bring beer to a boil, cover and remove from heat. In a medium bowl, combine sour cream, egg yolks and sugar until smooth.
- Temper sour cream mixture with a few ladles of hot beer, whisking until smooth. Transfer tempered sour cream to hot beer, whisking. Heat just to the boiling point. Remove from heat and add a pinch of cinnamon and stir.
- Portion into heated bowls and garnish with rye croutons and cheese, if desired. To serve cold, chill hot soup in an ice bath, refrigerate for several hours and portion into chilled bowls and garnish as for hot soup.