Nothing slakes the thirst like buttermilk and this cold cucumber-beet soup, known as zupa letnia or chłodnik, not only has buttermilk, but sour cream and hard-cooked egg. This is a no-cook soup that comes together quickly with the help of canned beets. It can be pureed to a velvety consistency and served in a chilled martini or iced-tea glass, or eaten chunky in a chilled bowl.
Here are more beet recipes.
Makes 4 servings
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 (1-pound) can sliced beets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 small seedless cucumber, peeled and quartered
- 1 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and quartered
- 1 tablespoon chives
- Salt to taste
- Place beets in bowl of a food processor and whirl until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and puree until velvety. Adjust seasonings. Chill.
- Serve in a chilled martini or iced-tea glass garnished with a cucumber slice and chives, if desired.