Here's a larger image of Polish kapusniak.
Makes 6 servings of Sauerkraut Soup
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 40 minutes
- 2 pounds ham hocks or meaty ham bone
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 black peppercorns
- 1 sprig fresh parsley or 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 cup barley (not quick-cooking), rinsed and drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can sauerkraut, drained (reserve liquid), rinsed and chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Place pork and water in a Dutch oven or other large pot. Bring to a boil, skimming off foam. Add onion, bay leaf, peppercorns and parsley. Return to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook about 45 minutes or until meat falls off the bones.
- Remove meat from broth, dice and return to the pot with barley, sauerkraut and caraway seeds, if using. Return to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for an additional 45 minutes. If soup becomes too thick, add meat stock or water. If a more sour taste is desired, add some reserved kraut juice. Adjust seasonings. Remove bay leaf. Serve in heated bowls with hearty rye bread.