Canned pumpkin can be used, in which case the soup will be darker in color, as it is in this picture.
View this larger image.
Makes 8 servings of Polish Pumpkin Soup
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 1 (2-pound) pie pumpkin, peeled and cut into chunks, or 2 (14-ounce) cans pumpkin puree
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 cup half-and-half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, combine pumpkin, water, stock and carrot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook over medium-low for about 1 hour or until vegetables are soft. If using canned pumpkin puree, this will take much less time.
- Transfer to a blender or food processor (in batches, if necessary) and puree until smooth. Return to the saucepan.
- Add tempered half-and-half to soup and warm. Serve in heated soup bowls with Drop Potato Dumplings.