A food processor works well to grate the vegetables coarsely. Follow this QUICK TIP for keeping potatoes from turning dark. You will need a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or a nonstick skillet.
Here are more Eastern European Zucchini Recipes and here is a larger photo of Polish Zucchini-Potato Pancake Recipe.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 33 minutes
Total Time: 48 minutes
Yield: 24 Zucchini-Potato Appetizers
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and grated coarsely
- 2 medium skin-on zucchini, grated coarsely
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons chopped chives or dill, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese, divided use
- 1/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 large lightly beaten egg whites
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Olive oil for drizzling
- Sour cream for garnish
- Place rack in middle of the oven and heat to 450 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, very lightly coat with cooking spray, and set aside.
- Place the grated potatoes and zucchini in a lint-free kitchen towel. Bring the corners together and twist into a ball, squeezing out the excess moisture. Place the vegetables in a large bowl. Add garlic, chives, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, egg whites, salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly.
- Heat a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or nonstick skillet over medium heat and then add the 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add the vegetable mixture to the pan and press down evenly. Drizzle the top with olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese. Cook for 8 minutes until the edges of the mixture begin to brown.
- Slide the pancake, cooked side down, onto the parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top of the pancake starts to brown and the edges are crisp. Transfer to a cutting board. Blot off any excess oil.
- When the pancake is slightly cool, use a serrated or sharp-edged knife to cut the pancake into squares. Arrange on a serving platter and dollop each piece with sour cream and crisscrossed chives. This can be served warm or at room temperature.