Here is a larger photo of Polish Pumpkin-Potato-Cheese Casserole.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings Pumpkin-Potato-Cheese
- 8 large potatoes boiled in their skin until al dente
- 1 pound pumpkin cut into small cubes
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 1 small bunch chopped fresh savory or 1 teaspoon ground savory
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons sunflower or vegetable oil
- 6 1/2 ounces grated yellow cheese of choice (not farmers cheese)
- Salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix pumpkin cubes and onion with salt, pepper, savory, nutmeg and 1 tablespoon oil. Spread on a parchment-lined sheet pan and roast 30 minutes or until al dente. Meanwhile, peel and slice potatoes 1/4-inch thick and mix with remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
- Grease an ovenproof casserole dish and place 1/2 the potato slices in it. Season with salt and pepper. Place the roasted pumpkin on top of the potatoes, followed by the rest of the potato slices. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with grated cheese and bake an additional 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender and cheese is bubbly and brown.
- Serve with bread and a tomato salad for a vegetarian meal. For a heartier dish, add leftover chopped cooked meat or skinned and sliced cooked sausage.