This is a delicious alternative to straight mashed potatoes and if you blanch the rutabaga first, it gets rid of some of the bitter flavor rutabaga can have.
View this larger image of Polish Rutabaga-Potato Mash.
Makes 6 servings of Polish Rutabaga-Potato Mash
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 medium rutabaga (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 4 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 2 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, cover rutabaga with water and bring to a boil. Cook halfway, about 15 minutes. Drain.
- Place stock, rutabaga, potatoes, salt, and sugar in saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower heat and cook until vegetables are tender. Drain. Mash to a smooth consistency, adding butter and pepper. Adjust seasonings if necessary.