Easter Bread Recipes Around the World
Freeze leftover egg whites and save for leftover egg white recipes.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Yield: 1 Romanian Pasca
- 1 recipe Romanian cozonac (see below)
- Cheese Filling:
- 1 pound dry curd or farmers cheese or ricotta
- 2 tablespoons soft butter
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large egg yolks + 1 large egg yolk, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch salt
- 3 ounces light or dark raisins
- Coat a 2-inch deep 10- or 12-inch round pan with cooking spray. Roll out cozonac dough to 1/4-inch thickness. Line the bottom and sides of the prepared pan, reserving a handful of dough.
- With the reserved dough, make 2 long, pencil-thin ropes and twist them together. Place it around the edge of the dough. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let sit in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Beat cheese with a mixer and add all the ingredients except the raisins. Beat until smooth, add raisins and mix again. When dough has risen, pour in the cheese filling, making sure it doesn't go over the edges.
- Baste cheese filling and dough border with remaining beaten egg yolk. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a wire rack and then remove from pan.