This recipe is a good candidate for very thinly sliced leftover ham. Here is a larger photo of Romanian Pork Cordon Bleu.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 4 servings Romanian Cordon Bleu
- 1 1/2 pounds / 680 g boneless pork tenderloin, fat and silver skin removed
- Salt and pepper
- 8 slices proscuitto or wafer-thin ham
- 8 thin slices Romanian cascaval or Bulgarian kashkaval cheese or Swiss cheese
- All-purpose flour
- 1-2 large eggs, beaten with 1-2 teaspoons water
- Fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Cut pork tenderloin into eight equal slices. Pound each slice thinly between two pieces of plastic wrap. Lightly season both sides of each pounded cutlet with salt and pepper. Place a slice of prosciutto or ham and then a slice of cheese on each cutlet. Roll as you would for stuffed cabbage to completely enclose the filling.
- Dredge each rolled cutlet in flour. Then dip into egg-water mixture and then into bread crumbs, coating all sides. Heat a large skillet and add oil and butter. When sizzling but not browning, add cutlets and cook 10 to 12 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Serve two cutlets per person.