Freeze leftover egg whites and save for leftover egg white recipes.
Larger photo of Russian cabbage pie.
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 45 minutes
Yield: 8 servings Russian Cabbage Pie
- Yeast Dough:
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup (5 1/3 tablespoons) butter
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 cup lukewarm water
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large head finely chopped green cabbage (about 3 pounds)
- 1 large finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter or lard
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 finely chopped hard-cooked eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or 2 tablespoons dried dill or to taste
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 teaspoon milk for egg wash
- To make the yeast dough: In a small saucepan, bring milk and 1/3 cup butter to a boil, remove from heat and cool to 110 degrees.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine yeast, sugar and 1/4 cup water, and let stand until foamy. Add the milk mixture, egg, egg yolks and salt to the yeast mixture and mix well. Add 3 cups flour, a cup at a time, kneading for 10 minutes and adding as much of the remaining flour as necessary to achieve a smooth and elastic dough.
- Coat a bowl with vegetable spray and place dough in it, turning once to coat both sides. Cover with greased plastic wrap and let rise until doubled -- 1 to 3 hours.
- To make the filling: Bring a large saucepan or Dutch oven of salted water to a boil. Add cabbage, return to the boil and cook 3 minutes. Drain well in a fine sieve and squeeze to remove all the liquid.
- Heat 3 tablespoons butter or lard and 3 tablespoons oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven and add onion. Saute until translucent and add cabbage. Cook, stirring often, until cabbage is tender but not browned and any liquid has evaporated -- 15 to 30 minutes or more. Remove from heat and stir in eggs, salt, pepper and dill, mixing well. Cool to room temperature.
- To assemble: Heat oven to 375 degrees. Punch down dough and divide into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger portion into a 14x10-inch rectangle on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the surface of the dough with breadcrumbs and spread the cabbage filling evenly over the breadcrumbs to within 1 1/2 inches of the edges.
- Roll out remaining piece of dough into a 12 1/2 by 8 1/2-inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface or sheet of parchment paper, and place over the cabbage filling. Brush edges of bottom dough with egg wash. Fold up and over the top crust, pressing to seal and crimping with the fingers or the tines of a fork. Prick the top of the crust all over (but not the edges) with a fork or docking tool. Brush liberally with remaining egg wash. Let rest uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes. Cover the crust with foil if it is browning too quickly. Let cool 10-15 minutes before cutting into squares. Can be served as an appetizer, side dish or main course with sour cream, if desired.