Here is a larger photo of Romanian Sweet Pepper Salad.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Marinating time: 24 hours
Total Time: 24 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 4 servings Romanian Pepper Salad
- 4 Romanian red peppers or red bell peppers, washed, stemmed, seeded and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 3 tablespoons white-wine or red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- 1 teaspoon sweet or hot Hungarian paprika (optional)
- 12 or more pitted brined black olives
- 4 ounces cubed Bulgarian feta or kashkaval cheese
- Blanch pepper quarters for 5 minutes. Drain, cool and blot with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, make the marinade in a large zip-top plastic bag by mixing vinegar, oil, salt, pepper, sugar and paprika, if using. Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary. Add pepper quarters, seal the bag and turn over several times so peppers are completely coated. Refrigerate flat for 24 hours, flipping over after 12 hours.
- When ready to serve, place peppers on individual plates or a platter. Place olives over peppers followed by cheese cubes. Drizzle some of the marinade over all and serve immediately.