Drain the kraut in this version and rinse it, if you desire, and then squeeze it dry. This is best if made the day before and it will last about 2 weeks refrigerated. It's perfect for picnics and cookouts because mayonnaise isn't used. When ready to serve, use a slotted spoon to remove the salad from the storage container and transfer it to a serving bowl.
Take a virtual tour of the Fremont Sauerkraut Factory.
Makes 6 to 8 servings of Sweet Sauerkraut with Oil Salad
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 quart (2 pounds) sauerkraut, drained (and rinsed, if desired) and squeezed dry
- 1 large chopped green pepper
- 1/2 medium chopped onion
- 4 ribs chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon pimiento or 1/4 chopped red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups sugar or to taste
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- In a large nonreactive bowl or plastic container with a lid, mix together sauerkraut, green pepper, onion, celery and pimiento or red pepper.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the dressing ingredients, mixing well. Toss with sauerkraut mixture until thoroughly combined. Cover and refigerate overnight. Keeps well refrigerated for 2 weeks.