This recipe for Serbian sauerkraut with bacon and rice is known as kiseli kupus sa pirinčem
and is from Vlada Vladic
who won the 2010 Food Network Thanksgiving Family Face-Off
. Vlada says her recipe is great for family gatherings, economical to make, and even better the next day.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 12 servings Sauerkraut & Rice
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup olive or grapeseed oil
- 1 medium chopped onion
- 8 to 10 cloves garlic
- 5 bay leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon sweet or hot hungarian paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup long-grain rice, rinsed
- 1/2 head fresh cabbage, shredded
- 1 (6-pound) can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- In a large Dutch oven, fry bacon until golden brown. Add oil and onion, and cook for about 10 minutes or until onions are tender. Add garlic, bay leaves, paprika, pepper and rice, and let mixture simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix in shredded cabbage and cook 5 minutes. Add sauerkraut and 3 cups chicken broth. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes, mixing often. Add another 1 cup chicken broth and, after mixing well, place in the oven and bake, covered, 1 1/2 hours, periodically adding remaining cup of chicken broth to keep sauerkraut moist while baking. Remove bay leaves and discard before serving.