This recipe comes from Charlotte Pribish Conjelko of Indiana. View this larger image of sour mushroom soup and this image gallery of a Slovak Christmas Eve Velija.
Makes 4 to 6 servings of Slovak Mushroom Machanka
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
- 2 ounces dried imported or porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups plus 4 cups water
- 1 whole medium onion, peeled, plus 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup sauerkraut juice or to taste
- 1/4 cup plus 1-2 tablerspoons canola oil (or butter if not fasting)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour mixed with 1 cup water
- In a medium bowl, place mushrooms and 2 cups warm water. Cover with plastic and let soak overnight. The next day, remove the mushrooms from the soaking liquid without disturbing the sediment at the bottom and chop them into small pieces.
- In large pot, carefully pour in soaking liquid without disturbing the sediment at the bottom, the chopped mushrooms, 4 cups water, whole onion and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until mushrooms are tender. Remove onion and add sauerkraut juice.
- In a small skillet, brown 1/4 cup flour in 1/4 cup oil until dark brown and add to soup, whisking until smooth. Temper the mixture of 1/2 cup flour and 1 cup water by adding a little hot soup into it, whisking until smooth. Pour the tempered mixture through a strainer into the hot soup, stirring constantly.
- In a large skillet, add 1-2 tablespoons canola oil and brown sliced onion until dark. Add to soup at serving time. Pour into a heated soup tureen or heated soup bowls.