Here's a larger photo of Bulgarian potatoes au gratin.
Makes 6-8 servings of Bulgarian Potatoes Au Gratin
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
- 2 pounds Bulgarian feta cheese or farmer's cheese or 4% cottage cheese
- 4 ounces (1 stick) melted butter, cooled slightly
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 large peeled russet potatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick
- 4 large beaten eggs
- 2 cups Bulgarian or Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray or butter. In a blender or food processor, puree cheese until as smooth as possible. Pour butter, salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper through food chute and process until well combined. If using feta cheese, use less salt.
- Lay down one-third of potatoes evenly in the prepared pan and top with one-third of cheese mixture. Lay down another third of potatoes and cheese, followed by last third of potatoes and cheese. Place pan on a cookie sheet to catch any drips. Cover pan tightly with foil that has been lightly coated with cooking spray or butter, and bake until potatoes are tender, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, yogurt and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Pour over potatoes and bake, uncovered until custard is puffy, golden and set, about 20 minutes or more. Let cool 5-10 minutes before serving. This dish reheats well.