Cornmeal is popular in Bulgaria, especially in breads or porridge, like kachamak. It can be served as a gruel or baked in the oven with cheeses, sliced and served as a main course or side dish. There are many variations, including this vegetarian one. Compare this with Romanian mamaliga.
Makes 4-6 servings Baked Bulgarian Polenta
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 1 cup coarse-ground cornmeal
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups Bulgarian feta or brinza cheese, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 cup grated kashkaval cheese
- Bring water and a generous pinch of salt to boil. Slowly stir in the cornmeal. Bring back to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Stir butter, feta or brinza cheese into cooked cornemal and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour into a greased 8-inch springform pan. Bake 30 minutes or until firm.
- Serve warm or at room temperature garnished with kashkaval cheese.