Makes 6 to 8 servings of Serbian Sauerkraut and Beans or Kupus i Grah
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 pound white Great Northern beans
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound diced bacon
- 1 small finely diced onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot or sweet paprika, or to taste
- Wash beans and soak them overnight in about 2 gallons water. When ready to cook, drain and rinse beans, and transfer them to a large pot or Dutch oven with 1 gallon water. Bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 2 hours or until almost tender, adding more water, if necessary.
- Add sauerkraut and continue cooking while you prepare this zafrig (roux). Saute bacon and onion in large skillet until fat has rendered from the bacon. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon and onion, and stir it into the sauerkraut and beans along with the garlic.
- Into the bacon grease, add flour, salt, pepper and paprika, stirring constantly to prevent burning, until zafrig is golden brown. Remove from heat and slowly add 2 cups cold water, whisking constantly until smooth. Add this to the sauerkraut and beans, mixing well. Cook 20 minutes. If too thick, add more water. If too thin, cook longer.