Makes 6 to 8 servings of Serbian Lenten Sauerkraut and Beans or Posni Kupus i Grah
Cook Time: 3 hours
Total Time: 3 hours
- 1 pound white Great Northern beans
- 1 pound sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1 small finely diced onion
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon hot or sweet paprika, or to taste
- Wash beans and soak them overnight in about 2 gallons water. When ready to cook, drain and rinse beans, and transfer them to a large pot or Dutch oven with 1 gallon water. Bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that rises to the surface. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for about 2 hours or until almost tender, adding more water, if necessary.
- Add sauerkraut and continue cooking while you prepare this zafrig (roux). Saute onion and garlic in oil in large skillet until translucent. Add flour, salt, pepper and paprika, stirring constantly to prevent burning, until zafrig is golden brown. Remove from heat and slowly add 2 cups cold water, whisking constantly until smooth. Add this to the sauerkraut and beans, mixing well. Cook 20 minutes. If too thick, add more water. If too thin, cook longer.